Alexey was born on February 27, 1975 in Voronezh. In 1992 he graduated from the Language Gymnasium named after A. V. Koltsov. In 1997 he graduated with honors from Voronezh State University from the Geology (geological surveying) and History (sociology and political science) departments.
In 1998 -2008 he was an assistant professor in VGASU in philosophy, sociology and history. From 1998 to 2016, he held more than 50 training sessions and more than 100 seminars on human rights and protection of the environment.
In 2001, he achieved a PhD in social philosophy; the topic of his thesis was "Modern Utopia as a Form of Critical Theory."
Since 2001 Alexey has been the director of the EKOSOTSIS Foundation ("The Foundation for Ecological and Social Justice"), as well as acting as an expert in the Helsinki Group of Moscow. Since 2005, he has coordinated the GROZA movement (the Civil United Green Alternative).
From 2009 to 2012, he was a member of the executive committee of the European Federation of Green Parties, and in the same period, he organized of a cycle of expert conferences on freedom of assembly.
From 2011 to 2012 and from 2015 to the present, Alexey has been a member of the Coordinating Committee of the Civil Society Forum EU-Russia.
Since 2012, he has been a member of the Public Council under the Commissioner for Human Rights in Voronezh region. Since 2014, he has been the Executive Director of SOLIDARIUS.
In 2014-2015, Alexey acted as a postdoctoral fellow (sociology) at the University of Jena.
He is the founder and co-editor of Internet projects www.resist.ru, www.article20.org and Berlin Infopoint Krim. Alexey has been one of the developers of the monitoring methodology of freedom of assembly in Russia (since 2006), the author and compiler of more than 20 reports on freedom of assembly, and the organizer of the monitoring and advisory network on this topic.
Areas of Interest:
- Globalization and Anti-Globalization movements
- Ecology and environmental protection
- Public policy
- Nationalism and anti-fascism
- Freedom of assembly
- Gender democracy
Alexey is a member of the Russian Association of International Studies. He has made more than 150 scientific and other publications in Russian, German, Swedish, Finnish and English languages, including more than 50 on the topic of anti-fascism and anti-racism.
He participated in the preparation and conduct of:
- Alternative Summit (1999, Cologne)
- Russian Anti-Nuclear Camp (1999, Novovoronezh)
- Alternative Climate Summit (2000, The Hague)
- Alternative Summit (2001, Brussels)
- Russian Anti-Nuclear Camp (2002, Krasnoyarsk)
- The First European Social Forum (2002, Florence)
- The Second European Social Forum (2003, Paris)
- Russian Anti-Nuclear Camp (2003, Ekaterinburg)
- Renewable Energy Program (2003, Russia-Denmark)
- "Environmental Responsibility of Deputies" Campaign (2003, Russia)
- Stop D6 Campaign for the preservation of the Kurskaya Kosa National Park (2004, Russia)
- Chernozemye Social Forum (2004, Voronezh)
- Russian National Anti-Nuclear Camp (2005, Ekaterinburg)
- Alternative Energy Forum (2006, St. Petersburg)
- Alternative Summit (2007, Rostock)
- The hunger strike of solidarity with Vasily Aleksanyan (2008, Russia)
- Russian National Anti-Nuclear Camp (2008, Nizhny Novgorod)
- Alternative Climate Summit (2008, Poznan)
- Alternative Climate Summit (2009, Copenhagen)
- International Conference against Racism and Intolerance (2010, Voronezh)
- The Working Group on Human Rights and Civil Rights (2010 Barcelona)
- The Working Group on Human Rights and Civil Rights (2010 Tallinn)
- Violations of human rights in Belarus during the presidential elections (2011 Budapest)
- The series of presentations "After Fukushima" (2011, Kaliningrad, Vilnius, Minsk)
- Seminar "Human Rights in Belarus" (2011, Paris)
- Conference "Alternatives to Nuclear Energy" (2011, Vilnius)
- A series of workshops on the protection of the right to freedom of peaceful assembly (2011-2012 Voronezh, Novosibirsk, Perm, Moscow, Lipetsk, Nizhniy Novgorod)
- Campaign in defense of freedom of assembly in Voronezh region (2012-2013, Voronezh and Voronezh region)
- Campaign against the new law on peaceful assembly in Russia (2012, Russia and the EU)
- Campaign against the development of nickel deposits in Voronezh region (2012-2013, Voronezh and Voronezh region)
- Presentation "What Really Happened in Bolotnaya Square on May 6," (2012, Copenhagen)
- Campaign against the construction of nuclear power plants in Lithuania, Belarus and Russia (Graining region) (2011-2013, Vilnius, Minsk, Kaliningrad, Moscow)
- Conference "The Best Green Practices in the Baltic region" (2012, Vilnius)
- Alternative Climate Summit (2013, Warsaw)
- Annual Conference "The Repression against Civil Society in Russia" (2014, 2015, 2016. Berlin)
- Eastern Green Academy (2012, Chernigov, 2013 Druskininkai, 2014-2016, Lions)
Wife - Olga Gnezdilova, daughter was born in 2005 and son - in 2010